Our Refuge family is excited to announce the arrival of our new therapy dog, Ellie Mae. She will join our family on June 14th and will be a working therapy dog. We believe she will play an important part to our team because she brings something most humans can never provide - a furry body to cuddle!
We plan on incorporating her into our regular scheduled appointments with our kiddos and their caregivers.
There is a lot of research to support how having a therapy dog can help provide the following:
- Lower blood pressure
- Release endorphins and calms the mind
- Diminishes overall physical pain, reducing amount of medication needed
- Lifts spirits and lessens depression
- Encourages communication
- Provides comfort
- Increases socialization and sense of community
- Decreases anxiety
- Helps children overcome speech and emotional disorders
- Creates motivation for clients to recover faster
- Reduces loneliness
- Helps children focus better